Become a Volunteer Assistant Coach
Urban Initiatives volunteers are essential to the success of the Work to Play Program. Volunteers work directly with the students as assistant coaches and mentors during program sessions. Generally, volunteers serve at a particular school and commit to at least one hour per week for an eight-week season. Interested volunteers should contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Urban Initiatives office at (312) 715-1763 for more information.
Volunteer Assistant Coach responsibilities
- Work directly with second through fourth graders at one of our participating schools.
- Assist the On-Site Program Director with program activities for one or more day(s) per week for one hour.
- Play and interact with kids during fitness activities.
- Promote Urban Initiatives' goals: academic achievement, physical fitness, health education, and character development.
- Be a positive role model to children.
- Help distribute healthy snacks.
- Help set-up and clean-up athletic equipment.
- Encourage teamwork, positive attitudes, having fun, and proper soccer skills.
- Discourage negative attitudes, words, and actions.
- Be loud and energetic.
- HAVE FUN!
Volunteer Assistant Coach opportunities Winter 2012
- Season begins: January 14, 2013
"In the end I think I learned just as much as the kids did, if not more. This is an unbelievably great program that I wish I had when I was growing up in Chicago. The benefits of this program will continue to serve these kids their whole lives and it was fantastic to be a part of that." - Paul Damato